- 尼禄·托尔·斯卡艾瓦（ネロ・トル・スカエウァ Nero tol Scaeva）是加雷马帝国第十四军团的军团次长[暂]。
- While he can put on a polite, cultured air for superiors and soldiers alike, Nero is a coldblooded leader who shows little mercy to his subordinates for even the smallest infractions. A schemer and a social climber, Nero resents Cid for outdoing him in magitek engineering and for being Gaius's former favored subordinate, whose shadow Nero feels he can never escape. When Cid betrayed the empire Nero felt he would finally have his chance to outshine him. To his dismay he finds that Cid's betrayal only elevated his legendary status in the minds of the Garlean people.
- Nero joins Gaius Van Baelsar's new campaign to continue the subjugation of Eorzea in the aftermath of the Seventh Umbral Era. He leads the legion's main intelligence branch, the Frumentarium, and minutes after his arrival at Castrum Occidens he roots out a spy among the ranks and slays him in cold blood.
Nero spies on the Warrior of Light whom he witnesses slaying Ifrit. When confronted by Livia Sas Junius for straying from his assigned objective, she warns him she will kill him herself if he fails. Nero again spies on the Warrior after their triumph over Titan, discussing the XIVth's dealings with Lahabrea. Rhitahtyn Sas Arvina joins him after Lahabrea leaves, and he denounces Nero for being so willing to trust the Ascian. He warns Nero that his loyalty should be to Garlemald first.
Gaius meets with his subordinates after the Ultima Weapon absorbs the active primals; Gaius tasks Nero with finishing the final touches on it.
Later, he is encountered in the Praetorium. Seething in rage, Nero declares he will earn the respect he feels he deserves by defeating the Warrior of Light's party, and proclaims he will finally prove himself as Cid's better. The Warrior and their friends defeat him and Nero flees, the only Garlean general to survive a confrontation with the Warrior of Light.
- Now living in exile from his homeland, Nero bides his time before learning of the Crystal Tower. After the Warrior of Light and NOAH complete the Labyrinth of the Ancients, Nero investigates the tower premises and finds a power source atop that is possibly stronger than the heart of the Ultima Weapon. Once the entrance to Syrcus Tower is open, intending to have Cid's group and the Warrior of Light do the heavy lifting, Nero joins NOAH in their expedition while revealing the true identities of Doga and Unei. Nero's plan falls apart when the Cloud of Darkness spirits him into the World of Darkness when he attempts to save Unei so he can use her to control the entity.
- Ending up in the Realm of Darkness, Nero absorbs the void-ridden atmosphere while fending off the voidsent that the Cloud of Darkness sent to kill Doga and Unei in its stead. After being found by the Warrior of Light and G'raha Tia, Nero accompanies them on their run back to Eorzea. Though weakened as the portal closes, Nero is purified by Doga and Unei as he returns to Eorzea with Cid's help.
- Although he disappears from the group shortly after their escape from the tower, Cid believes Nero won't be causing any further trouble for the time being. Nero discards his remaining piece of Garlean technology and declares a new day has dawned for him.
- Nero searches the Carteneau Flats for the still-dormant Omega, remarking that "we are going to have so much fun together."
- In the events of The Far Edge of Fate, Nero assists the Warrior of Light in defeating the primal Shinryu by resurrecting Omega from beneath the Carteneau Flats. His intentions are never made clear and both Omega and Shinryu's ultimate fate is unknown as the pair are flung east into Ala Mhigan lands.
- During the course of Cid's investigation of the whereabouts of Omega, Nero is hired by Jessie to be part of the team, much to Cid's consternation. Nero journeys into a portal that leads to the Interdimensional Rift alongside Cid, Biggs, Wedge, and the Warrior of Light where they are subjected to tests by Omega. After passing the initial trials, he sets up a base inside the rift with Cid. He provides support to the Warrior of Light as they face Omega's challenges, including giving them a gravitational device needed to face the monster known as Catastrophe. When Biggs and Wedge are nearly killed Nero helps Cid take them to the Conjurer's Guild to be healed. He chastises Cid, who is guilt-ridden for his role in reviving Omega, for losing sight of his role as a scientist.
- When Omega is ready to continue its trials, Nero re-enters the Rift with the rest of the team. He reveals an upgraded version of his old armor and gunhammer, which he uses to fight alongside Cid and the Warrior of Light against a number of Omega's creations. Once the group reaches the Sigmascape, the location of their next series of tests, he sets up base with Cid to give support to the Warrior of Light. When Nero is temporarily left alone inside the Rift, he is badly wounded by Omega. He hides his injuries until after they defeat Kefka, whereupon he collapses and is taken to be treated.
- Though he is still too injured to join the team in the Rift, he is able to leave his bed in order to talk to Cid while the latter is preparing for the final battle against Omega. This discussion allows Cid to overcome his reluctance of using technology developed by his father during the fight. Later, after Omega has been defeated, Cid goes to the infirmary to check on Nero, only to find that he has already left after taking a large amount of gil from Cid's account as payment for his work.